Monday, August 22, 2011

In the beginning...

It was late last night when the idea to start this blog came to me. Hmm, funny, it seems like most revelations come to us late at night huh.. funny, I wonder why it is they tend to occur when our mind is not fully functional. Anyway, I was sitting alone in my living room, trying to take in the present of a life set to change in less than a week. Incapable of doing so however, all I could think about was the past I am leaving behind and the future that lies ahead, standing there, at the end of this path like a blank canvas awaiting it's first strokes. Filled with both excitement and dread, I couldn't help but focus my thoughts on what exactly would go on this canvas. I reflected for a while on the patterns on my life, my interactions with people along the way. Then I thought broader.. about my relationship with change, and the hardships and surprises that are accompanied with it. The more pensive I became, the more motivated I became to document these changes as I start my journey to achieve a PhD. It was at this point, I determined there are many facets to this experience I would like to share. Hence my decision to do as the kids do these days, and "blog" about it...

So what is the change specifically? Well I will be moving cities, and starting a four year PhD. The details of what I plan to study are yet to be ironed out.

What can you expect from this blog? Well for those of you who know me, you won't be surprised to hear it will be an eclectic blend of sorts. There with be both anecdotes and cathartic notes on the random thoughts and experiences I have along the way both in my personal and academic life. I will post resources I encounter, tools I may develop, and lessons learned... some of general interest and others specific to readers that may also be in school. I'm sure there will be the odd TED talk here and there (hopefully one day one of them being mine!). I'm sure, after sitting pale and motionless at a computer screen for days on end trying to assemble words for the plethora of papers I'm about to write, I'll find plenty useless distractions to share. Music. As I can't lift the needle from the ever playing record that is the soundtrack to my life, I'm sure I will post music related content as well. This list... will go on I'm sure as I continue to update this blog.

Who is this blog for? Well, I foresee a variety of audiences really. First, and foremost, friends and family. I hope to be able to maintain this blog to keep those I care about informed. Second, the budding, past or present student looking for experiences, tools, resources that may facilitate their understanding of the progression of a PhD or contribute to their work. Third, the general public looking for a good read or interesting tid bits here and there.

Ah yes, why Dr. Changelove... many of you are probably wondering "hmmm, it sounds like the title of the 1964 cult classic "Dr. Strangelove" but... in fact, I chose something similar but why? "Dr." because I am doing my PhD, "Change" because my area of study is on change, and "love" well.. the reasons will become clear as this blog develops...

Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment